Any person employed by a full-service funeral establishment or an embalming service establishment, except a common carrier engaged in interstate commerce, the Commonwealth and its’ agencies, or an emergency medical services provider duly certified or licensed pursuant to KRS Chapter 311A, who wants to engage in the business of surface transportation or removal of dead human bodies in the Commonwealth shall apply for, and may be granted, a permit from the board.
The bill was proposed in the 2019 Regular Legislative session. It was legislatively approved and signed by Governor Matt Bevin on March 26, 2019.
Applications can be downloaded from the KBEFD website on the forms page. Please send the completed application packet to the board office.
Classes will be limited to the first 20 completed applications. Then applicants will be scheduled for the following months on a first come, first serve basis. Applicants will be notified by email and must confirm within 48 hours or space will be forfeited.
Application - $150
- Completed Application
- FBI Background Check (valid for 90 days)
- 2 passport photos (2x2)
- Copy of valid drivers license
- Certificate of completion of OSHA Bloodborne Pathogens and Universal Precautions (completed less than one year of date of application)
- Proof of insurance for approved vehicle (cannot expire within 30 days of application)
- Send completed application by App Deadline on calendar
- Office processes application
- Scheduled for course and exam
- Complete course/ take Exam
- Receive permit
Course/Test - $75
- All initial applicants must attend the course and pass the examination
- Any transporter who's permit has expired must take the class again
Application: Download Transport Application
FBI Background Checks: www.edo.cjis.gov (scroll down to How to Submit a Request)
If local law enforcement are not able to do your fingerprints you may utilize Identogo. Click here for instructions (PDF). The website is uenroll.identogo.com.
OSHA Certification Online: (one option) https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/classes/bloodborne-pathogens-training-online/05447631.html
Permit expires 1 year from the issue date. If you renew before the expiration date there is just a renewal fee. Renewals will be online. If there is a lapse it will be treated as a new applicant.