Any person employed by a full-service funeral establishment or an embalming service establishment, except a common carrier engaged in interstate commerce, the Commonwealth and its’ agencies, or an emergency medical services provider duly certified or licensed pursuant to KRS Chapter 311A, who wants to engage in the business of surface transportation or removal of dead human bodies in the Commonwealth shall apply for, and may be granted, a permit from the board.
The bill was proposed in the 2019 Regular Legislative session. It was legislatively approved and signed by Governor Matt Bevin on March 26, 2019.
Applications can be downloaded from the KBEFD website on the forms page. Please send the completed application packet to the board office.
Classes will be limited to the first 20 completed applications. Then applicants will be scheduled for the following months on a first come, first serve basis. Applicants will be notified by email and must confirm within 48 hours or space will be forfeited.
Application - $150
- Submit 45 days prior to course (waived for 2019)
- Completed Application
- FBI Background Check (valid for 90 days)
- 2 passport photos (2x2)
- Copy of valid drivers license
- Proof of insurance for approved vehicle
- Office processes application and makes recommendation to Board
- Board votes on recommendations
- Scheduled for course and exam
Course/Test - $75
- Attend 4 hour course
- Pass Course Exam
- Note: exam will include highlights of OSHA course.
- License/ID issued
- Application Packet submitted (45 days prior to course)
- Application processed; Applicant notified (15 days prior to course)
- Course attended; Exam taken (10 days post course license received)
Application: Download Transport Application
FBI Background Checks: www.edo.cjis.gov (scroll down to How to Submit a Request)
OSHA Certification Online: (one option) https://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/classes/bloodborne-pathogens-training-online/05447631.html
License expires 1 year from the issue date. If you renew before the expiration date there is just a renewal fee. Renewals will be online. If there is a lapse it will be treated as a new applicant.